Now is the time of year when you may have an abundance of tomatoes from your garden. A great way to utilize fresh tomatoes and basil from your garden is this simple and delicious recipe.
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 8 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 8 slices of baguette
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Dice tomatoes and place in bowl. Season with basil, salt and pepper to taste and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Set aside to marinate for a few minutes.
- Coat the bottom of a large skillet with olive oil and place over medium heat. Once the oil is hot (not smoking), toast the baguette slices on both sides until golden brown.
- Gently rub halved garlic cloves on toasted baguette slices; chop garlic and add to tomatoes.
- Spoon tomatoes over the toast and enjoy.
Fun fact: Tomatoes, along with peppers, eggplant, okra and potatoes, are in the deadly nighshade family. Most other plants of that family prove fatal when eaten.